Galya is a New York based photographer, born in Odessa, Ukraine. A native of three ports and a nomad at heart, Galya always finds nature, home and dream environments in city-scapes and the layers of urban civilization.
She explores how man-made constructions preserve, emanate and influence the human spirit. Focusing on urban landscapes and environmental portraits, she tunes into the energy and mythos of a space, and reacts to how these outer worlds interact with the inner worlds of their visitors. In her photography, Galya is not seeking an architectural record, but rather the emotional and fictional record, as discerned on herself and her subjects. The aim is to capture and expose a glimpse of a connection between our habitats and our reality, feelings and fantasies, and find insight on how human energy and narrative is originated and transferred through the environments we create.
Galya’s interests also lean towards fashion photography as it is a great playing field in urban cultural expression.
Galya is currently working on an environmental portrait project called Artist in Residence. It documents a variety or artists in their creative environments, starting in New York and reaching internationally. The project explores how a geographic and social location makes it’s impositions upon a life-style of an artist and how, in turn, artists create their environment as an extension of their personality and imagination. Taken across cultures, this exploration should give insight into our dependence, inspiration and freedom from our physical space.
Galya holds a degree in Literature from Brandeis University. She is self-taught in photography and is an Eddy Adams Workshop alum of 2010.
- 2006 NY Solo Photo Installation in the Pool, Galapagos Art Space, Williamsburg, NY
- 2010 Stoked on Spring Silent Charity Auction, Milk Studios, NY Case One Silent Charity Auction, Milk Studios, NY
- 2009 Grace Exhibition Space at Fountain Art Fair, Miami Juice Up the Apple: Group Multimedia Benefit Show, Soho, NYInterActions Festival XXII at ARKA Art Center, Sardinia, Italy
- 2007 NAscent Art Show/Auction, Manhattan, NY
- 2006 Windows Project, Easthampton, MA Grace Exhibition Space, Brooklyn, Islamic Cultures in Reflection Exhibition, University of Hawaii in Manoa & World Bank, Jakarta, Indonesia
A rare London gallery show of photographic work from the 1987 Andy Warhol memorial service by theWorks…Read more >
Go to Art Basel Miami this weekend and meet our curator Jeremy Hu and see stunning artwork fromÂ theWorks…Read more >